Public Holidays and Pay Processing
Long weekends are great but they can sneak up on ya! Be sure to double check you're ready when the next public holiday might affect your pays
Below is an example pay period if the holiday falls on Monday. You may be charged unexpected fees in a pay week after a long weekend. Shorter weeks means we can't run your normal turn-around. For example, if you use the free 2-day turn-around plan for a Thursday Payday, you'll need to transfer to us on Friday before the weekend to maintain the plan.
- Your 'Payday' is defined as the day (from early AM) your employees see their wages in their bank account.
- Our bank processes pays overnight before your set Payday, so you cannot have a Payday after a Saturday, Sunday or any national public holiday.
- Don’t forget: record public holidays taken in the system. Use the 'Public holiday off' pay type in timesheets.
- If a public holiday is worked, that needs to be paid at 'time and a half' or 1.5 times your employees' standard rate AND you need to add an 'Alternative Holiday' day to your employee's balance (in a new timesheet row).
- If your normal Payday is Tuesday, a typical long weekend like the one above will mean you will have to adjust your pay day (make it earlier or later).
- If your normal Payday is Thursday and you use the FREE 2-day plan (i.e. you deposit by 10pm Monday), you will need to deposit the week before to avoid 1-day plan fees of 40 cents / per employee paid, unless you are a registered charity, when all plans are free.
Calendar for 2019
|Holiday Name||Actual Date||Observed Date||Next Possible Payday*|
|Waitangi Day||Wednesday 6 February||Wednesday 6 February||Friday 8 February|
|Good Friday||Friday 19 April||Friday 19 April||Wednesday 24 April|
|Easter Monday||Monday 22 April||Monday 22 April||Wednesday 24 April|
|ANZAC Day||Thursday 25 April||Thursday 25 April||Saturday 27 April|
|Queen's Birthday||1st Monday in June||Monday 3 June||Wednesday 5 June|
|Labour Day||4th Monday in October||Monday 28 October||Wednesday 30 October|
|Christmas Day||Wednesday 25 December||Wednesday 25 December||Saturday 28 December|
|Boxing Day||Thursday 26 December||Thursday 26 December||Saturday 28 December|
*Optional Same-day payments are also available for holidays where a weekday follows.
See more on our plans and pricing page.